So you want to get your little one a device with internet access, and cannot decide whether this will be wise? Although the thought schools surrounding this matter are polarized, there is always some good withing healthy boundaries.
Lets shed some light on the benefits of smart technology to kids.
- Technology enhances learning.
You would be amazed at how fast a young brain absorbs and processes information. In early 2001 the term STEM was introduced by the US National Research Foundation. STEM refers to exposure that children have to Science Technology Engineering and Maths. It was determined that in order for future generations to be ready for the demands of future workplaces we have to sharply focus on STEM skills in learning and education. This is where technology enhances a child’s ability to learn specifically focused topics in the STEM category. Without technology and the internet children would have had to rely on (sometimes outdated) library books to search for information whereas with an IOT device reliable, up to date information can be instantly accessed.
- Technology jobs are (and will be) in high demand
According to Statista.com the number of connected IOT devices world wide in 2015 was 15.41 Billion devices. This has grown exponentially to 50 billion connected devices in 2020, according to Cisco this is almost a 320% increase. If this rate of growth keeps steady, by 2025 the number of connected devices will well exceed the 160 billion devices mark. Each one of these devices would have been designed, developed, manufactured and will have to be maintained by skilled workers.A report by the World Economic Forum predicts that machines will do more than 50% of all labor globally by 2025.
- Screen time boosts creativity. Initially thought patterns surrounding screen time was limited to television and smart device usage. These days educational programs such as programming and robotics are included within the spectrum of screen time with regards to children. Programming not only teaches creative problem solving but also critical thinking. The creation and problem solving aspects of robotics also resonates to this same fundamental aspect, creativity. Lastly, let us not forget about the terabytes of creative content on sites like YouTube. Hobbies, crafts and practical demonstrations.
Exposing your child to technology will give them the advantage to be fammiliar with these devices and their inner workings. Perhaps your generation never grew up with the tech we have today. People that had little to no exposure to technology while growing up fear these devices bacause of this lack of confidence in using them. Tech executive and bestselling author Sheryl Sandberg said this: “What would you do if you weren’t afraid?”. Giving children exposure to technology allows them to experience the technology in safe environments. Everything in moderation is key.
As a parent your role in all of this would be to provide such a safe environment for your children.
With Qustodio you have the tools on hand to do just that.
- Qustodio allows you to limit the amount of screen time available to the young one.
- You can filter out sites with unwanted content.
- You can keep track of internet as well as application access times and duration with daily reports emailed directly to you.
Need more info … Click Here